Monday, April 12, 2010

1998 Upper Deck Series 3 Baseball

Reading Night Owl's post earlier today made me think that the decline in activity on A Pack a Day has been kind of sad. This was one of the blogs that really influenced me when I got back into collecting, so the least I can do is post a pack. I came home from work and found this one in the card closet, a hobby pack of 1998 Upper Deck Series 3 Baseball. I actually bought this about 2 years ago and have never really felt like opening it. Price was $2.99, 10 cards per pack, here are all 10 for your viewing pleasure...

#546 - Mike Kinkade - Star Rookie - One thing this pack taught me is that I desperately need to clean my scanner.

#DS28 - Derek Jeter - Destined for Stardom - See what I mean? This is one of those cards that actually looks nice in person, but just doesn't scan well. Too bad the entire right border of the card is bent slightly backwards. I seem to have a knack for pulling Jeters, which is unfortunate...

#594 - Sidney Ponson - Star Rookie - Sidney's MLB career would appear to be over, as far as I know he's not signed with any team for the 2010 season.

#678 - Joe Randa - Here's where the pack takes a downturn. Apparently someone got to Randa's wikipedia page and snuck in an update. Here's the quote: "Randa will be joining the Bonner Springs MasterBatters for the 2010 season." I know it's pretty juvenile but it made me chuckle. Don't believe me? Go look it up yourself (at the very bottom of the Pro Career section)

#740 - Mark McLemore

#739 - Roberto Kelly

#545 - Gary Matthews Jr. - Star Rookie - Gary is 2/14 to start the year for the Mets. I'm not sure anyone out there knows what the Mets saw in him...

#665 - Dmitri Young - Did you know Dmitri collects baseball cards?

#654 - Dennis Eckersley - Now the pack is picking up steam. I always appreciate an Eckersley card!

#730 - Fred McGriff - Eck followed by the Crime Dog, very strong finish. Well for 3 bucks I got some sweet cards and learned why it's a bad idea to ever use Wikipedia as a reference. I think I might have to post here more often.

6 comments:

zman40 said...

I did not know that Da Meat Hook collects cards. But, would you be willing to trade for that Randa.

madding said...

The sad thing is that no one even bothers to correct the vandals on Joe Randa's wikipedia entry because his page is probably only looked at a few times a month.

shoeboxlegends said...

zman40, I'd be glad to send you the Randa. Just email me at shanediaz82 at yahoo dot com and let me know your address.

Swag said...

Joe Randa will only eat the gum out of old packs of baseball cards. - wiki

well then.

pete27 said...

Ponson is playing for the Long Island Ducks in the Atlantic League.

Super Dash Rendar said...

It looks like it's hard to read the players names on the cards. Roberto Kelly looks just like Mark McLemore lol. Cheers on getting a reds card! If you want to get rid of Reds cards let me know we can trade.