Saturday, February 07, 2009

2000 Upper Deck

I discovered a hobby store near me that, while very disorganized, had a large quantity of bargain wax. I grabbed fistfuls of 50 cent and $1 packs on my last trip there and plan on doing it again soon. In the meantime, here's one of the packs from the last trip, with sluggin' Mark McGwire featured on the wrapper. Has anyone here heard my McGwire rant? Probably not. Maybe someday...

470 - Aramis Ramirez
444 - Ramiro Mendoza (The good kind of Mendoza. Not the kind that can barely hit .200)
418 - Jose Hernandez

392 - Mark Kotsay (It seems that teal has fallen out of favor the further we get away from the '90s. That's really... too... bad.)

(Upper Deck gets bonus points for the dark blue backs, but serious negative points for cutting off the top of Kotsay's cap. They did that to Ramirez, too. It just looks terrible.)
350 - Brian Simmons
324 - B.J. Surhoff
298 - Mo Vaughn (Another thing that annoys me is that Mo, like most of the cards in this pack, is pictured in a spring training uni. A few of those a set are okay with me, especially when they're players you know they couldn't capture easily any other way, but it seems like spring training photos are always relied on way too heavily.)

296 - Wily Mo Pena (Even though this card kind of reminds me of failed early '90s prospect Hensley "Bam Bam" Meulens, it looks really nice. Check out the background.)

499 - Jamie Moyer (Moyer was coming off of the four best seasons of his career to date.)
481 - Phil Nevin
- Reggie Jackson rookie jersey Upper Deck collection ad

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree on the teal uniforms. I particularly love how well the teal uniforms look on the 1993 Upper Deck expansion season cards. Dig the Trevor Hoffman rookie from that set.

Anonymous said...

I agree on the teal uniforms. I particularly love how well the teal uniforms look on the 1993 Upper Deck expansion season cards. Dig the Trevor Hoffman rookie from that set.

William said...

I collected the entire series 1 set [busted probably 50 packs to do so]. As a side note, Phil Nevin was huge there for a couple years.

The Baseball Card Snob said...

Is it me or are most of these cards kinda dark? I was wondering if it was due to the dark blue backs of the card.

Voltaire said...

I love 2000 Upper Deck! I wish I could find bargain packs. I'd love to complete the set.

The Baseball Card Snob said...

Voltaire,
I'll trade you all that I have left for 07 or 08 UD.

Lmk
Paul

Voltaire said...

Paul, drop me a line. E-mail is in the profile. I have lots of '08 Upper Deck for trade.