Sunday, February 01, 2009

2005 Donruss Team Heroes

Before I get to today's pack rip, I should wrap up last week's Royal Rumble Contest. Sam chose #8, represented by Shannon Stewart (see below). The eighth entrant in the Royal Rumble match, Randy Orton, won the whole magillah. So Sam is the winner! I'll need you to email me (brotz13 AT gmail DOT com) with your address and your favorite team so that I can send your prize. If I don't hear from you by the end of the day Wednesday, I'll move on to the runner-up.
shstewart by you.

So, are you going through Donruss Withdrawal? Never fear, a repacked pack of Team Heroes is here! I don't quite get the graph paper background on these, but I do like the team-color gradient bar on the left side. What do we have here?

241 Marlon Byrd - The card back mentions his 5-RBI game against the Expos. I miss those guys.

222 Barry Zito - Rockin' the double-knit flashbacks. Love the stirrups.
ziter by you.

204 Tom Seaver - Hey, an actual Team Hero! Who'da thunk it? Great action shot of Tom Terrific in mid-delivery.
seaverdth by you.

186 Justin Morneau - Probably didn't deserve his MVP award a few years back, but since he denied Derek Jeter the honors I can't complain.

373 Carl Pavano - One of Cleveland's big offseason pickups. Stop snickering.

349 Derek Lowe - It's D. Lowe, not to be confused with D'Lo.

308 Jose Cruz, Jr. - Shown in the Diamondbacks phase of his long career descent.

197 Victor Zambrano - One of the most useless of the Orioles parade of pitching horrors in recent years (0-1, 9.49 in 12.1 innings).

2 comments:

jacobmrley said...

"197 Victor Zambrano - One of the most useless of the Orioles parade of pitching horrors in recent years (0-1, 9.49 in 12.1 innings). "

At least the O's didn't trade the best left-handed prospect in all of baseball for half a season of his usulessness (says the angry bitter mets fan).

Kevin said...

Max - Yeah, ouch. I figured I'd skip the obvious comment and try to save you guys the torment, but I suppose he's burned into your mind. Kind of like Glenn Davis for us O's fans.

When I interned for the Aberdeen IronBirds, the PR guy was a Mets fan. This was a few months after the Zambrano trade, and he was still steamed. Then again, he was also pissed that the Mets traded Melvin Mora for a half season of Mike Bordick, so he might hold grudges longer than most.