Sunday, March 08, 2009

1992 Donruss - Finding Myself

Mr. Castle sent a box of Indians cards along with quite a few non-Indians which made me do some research. Turns out the non-Indians had all donned the Tribe uniform at one point in their careers. Included in the box of cards was a pack of 1992 Donruss, which I present to you because you can never get too much of the 1992 Donruss set. Well, maybe you can, but I present it anyway. After all, I found myself in this pack.

The first three cards feature one Bob Milacki. I had never heard of Milacki that I knew of until the box of cards from Castle. You see, Milacki's card (though a different one that is) was in my pile of non-Tribers. He had a very brief stint with the Indians (it lasted about 5 games) the year after the card below. Also in this trio is Steve Howe (Yankees) and Frank Tanana (Tigers):



As I slid the Tanana card aside, I revealed my own baseball card. Well, not really MY card, but the card which bears my name. Dave Henderson (A's) has always been a favorite of mine, and yes, simply because we share the same name. Next is a pitcher with a most unfortunate name: Bob Walk (Pirates). Not only does his last name reflect what most pitchers wish to avoid, but even his first name refers to movement. It's a lot like having a vasectomy done by Dr. Pickelman. I should know. I did. Wrapping up this group is Charlie Leibrandt (Braves). I've always wondered, is it "Lee-Brandt" or "Le-Brandt?"



If you've read Thorzul lately, you may remember Mr. Belcher (Dodgers), as one of the Dr. Steve's Altered Cards. We also have Roberto Kelly (Yankees) and former Triber Harold Baines (here in an A's uni).



I did manage to pull an Indians player in an Indians uniform: Carlos Baerga. Unfortunately, he is caught in one of the worst baseball card poses I have ever seen. Who at Donruss said, "Yeahh, use THAT one!" Yeesh. Charles Theodore Davis (Twins) is up next. Of course, most fans know him as supper on a cold winter's night. Last in this group, caught doing his version of the Hokey Pokey, is Gregg Olson (Orioles).



The final three cards in the pack are these: Juan Samuel (Dodgers), Jay Bell (Pirates), and a checklist. When I was a kid, I always thought checklists were 'worth more' depending on which names you found on the card. In this example, we see Cal Ripken, Ken Griffey Jr, Wade Boggs, Kenny Lofton, and others on the front. Cal Ripken, Junior and Boggs!? Man, that'd be worth flipping for many years ago. Though it occurred to me while writing that: in 1992 I was less than a year away from my Bachelor's degree. My childhood days were far behind me then.

The puzzle card was pieces 61, 62, and 63 of the Rod Carew. Why is it that only Harmon Killebrew's puzzle (as memory serves) was done in silver foil? No one else's that i can remember was done in 'chrome.' Hmmm...

2 comments:

jacobmrley said...

the harmon puzzle was done with the leaf set, thus its special silver foil.

William said...

This pack and post was great on so many levels. First of all, many of these "greats" appeared in my favorite baseball video game of all-time, "Roger Clemens MVP Baseball" for NES. Second of all, I don't think Charlie Liebrandt was in the majors long enough for anyone to figure out how to pronounce his name. Third of all, that Carlos "One if by land, two if by sea, three if" Baerga* shows him in quite the compromising stance, letting his body language act out the wildness of the pitch. Great set, great pack, great post!

*A debt of gratitude is owed to the blogger from whom I've stolen this quote -- maybe it was Mr. Harris, or perhaps Thorzul; either way, I'm not worthy.