Saturday, March 28, 2009

2009 Topps Fat Pack: What the Fungus?

I'm sure we've all seen our share of 2009 Topps already, but I got two fat packs at Target and something was odd. Check out the the following scans:






So, as I said..."What the Fungus?". You'll notice that all of the affected cards are horizontally oriented. I pulled about six others like these. Each fat pack had two separate runs of three misprinted cards in the middle of the pack. It looks like some of the colored ink didn't make it onto the cards; maybe yellow? At any rate, the backs of the cards are fine. You'll also notice that no less than three of the affected cards feature Josh Hamilton. Weird, huh?

Has anyone else found similarly gerfunct cards? (Yes, these are so weird looking that I had to use a fake word to describe them.)

5 comments:

Jeffrey Wolfe said...

I love the '09 Topps set but their quality control has been horrendous. From foil being off-center to different shades of the black border at the bottom and now these. I'd be super pissed if I paid for these. I've seen other bloggers get free replacements if you sent them back to Topps.

William said...

That's just their new bake-in-the-sun gloss technology.

thehamiltonian said...

Poor Josh....

--David said...

See what happens when you get your 'roid juice on the cards? I hear you can clean the contacts of a battery with the stuff, too...

Ben said...

Maybe you've discovered a super secret, limited production variation.

Didn't the same thing (missing colors) happen before with one of the Topps releases in the late 80s?