Wednesday, May 27, 2009

2009 Upper Deck Artifacts A Piece of History Baseball, A Brand With a Name So Long That Footnotes Might Soon Be Required


This blog has been on life support for the last few months, due in no small part to my lack of posts. I guess that's happened mostly because I've become wary of retail and haven't bought that many cards in 2009. Perhaps this will change?

Let's tear in.

Top to Bottom:
33 Miguel Cabrera

17 Kosuke Fukudome

105 Alfredo Aceves (RC) Green Parallel (023/150)

121 Chris Lambert (RC)

157 Discovery of Penicillin

Not the best pack, but not too bad for retail. Unfortunately there wasn't a companion card to the Historical Moments card that would have made good fodder for an STD joke. Oh well. I have to say that I like the design more than the last few years.

5 comments:

Joe S. said...

I too have grown wary of retail packs... I never seem to get ANYTHING decent, and I'm starting to seriously wonder about pack searching.

It's not that I really care when I get a pack with nothing in it, it's the price of doing business, but at least at a reputable hobby shop you know the packs are "safe".

dayf said...

Ugly, ugly, green and ugly, ugly, moldy fungus.

Terry said...

A penicillin card, WTF?

Yeah, I stick to blaster boxes (retail) and hobby packs/boxes from a local dealer

LongFlyBall said...

With that card #157 in the series would it have been too much trouble to arrange the pack sorting method so as to ALWAYS include it with card #62. Maybe have a duo shot with Madge.

Sharpe said...

I'm torn on the design of the cards themselves. Is that supposed to be marble the picture is set on? Smoke? Some other sort of bacteria?

I'll be honest, I don't understand Upper Deck's obsession with random history and putting it into card format, and then putting it into my packs. Although part of me wants to collect all 2,500 inserts from the Goudey set just because it sounds insane.