Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Cali vs World contest - Pack 1

Here's the first pack of the contest. Get those guesses in to me before the clock strikes midnight Monday night.

Brett Butler (L.A.) - Nice. A leadoff hitter to lead off the contest.
Jim Sundberg
Eric Show (Riverside, CA)
Lloyd Moseby - Decent hitter, but this pose tells me he was a Hall of Famer with the ladies.

Jack Clark - Jack the Ripper with a classic follow-through shot.

Mario Soto (Dominican Republic)
Don Mattingly - Donny Baseball gets honorific card number 300 in this set. He wields the bat more like a pistol here.

Tim Conroy
Jim Traber
Bo Diaz (Venezuela) - One of the first cards I ever pulled was an 86 Topps Bo Diaz. Just seeing the name brings back memories of being ten years old and discovering this whole baseball card thing.
Dave Clark
Dale Murphy - Can't pass up the chance to scan a Murph.

Kirk Gibson - Looking like he just laid waste to a backdoor slider.

Shane Mack (L.A.)
Jose Cruz (Puerto Rico) - P.R. is a "self-governing unincorporated territory of the United States" (wikipedia). This counts as The World.
Rick Aguilera (San Gabriel, CA)
Mickey Tettleton
Jerry Reuss - Check out the small print. That, my friends, is called a career. He finished with 3600+ innings pitched in the big leagues with an ERA+ of exactly 100. Major league average starter for twenty-two seasons. Dunno about you, but I'd trade my day job for that one.

Darryl Strawberry (L.A.)
Jeff Hamilton
Danny Heep
Roger Clemens - Kids, you finish your motion with your weight over your front leg.

Graig Nettles (San Diego)
Nolan Ryan Record Breaker - 11th season with 200+ K's. He was a machine.
Bill Madlock
Ron Karkovice - Birmingham on the back. Let's go Barons (clap, clap, clap-clap-clap)!

Bob Patterson
Bobby Bonilla

Scores:

Cali: 6
World: 3
Bama Boys: (none. Where my dogs at?)

Cali leads 6-3 after 1 pack. In fact, L.A. equals the output of the world so far. Tune in soon for pack #2.

2 comments:

Captain Canuck said...

nice pack! Murph is always the best pull...

skoormit said...

I love pulling a Murph, not partly because he was the best player on the Braves when I was just getting into baseball and the Braves were my favorite team by default. He wasn't my favorite player, though. That was an honor held by none other than the immortal Rafael Ramirez. He was the Braves shortstop. I played shortstop for my LL team. End of discussion.