Saturday, December 22, 2007

2007-2008 Upper Deck Basketball First Edition

We now bring you the continuing story of Cardboard Junkie is a Lucky Bastard. I wanted to get a pack of First Edition Basketball for a while since I really liked the baseball and football versions. I never did get around to actually buying a pack though, even though I had every opportunity. The one time I actually picked one up it fell out of the shopping cart somewhere around the cereal aisle. So yesterday I was at Target looking for last minute presents. My wife didn't get everything we needed and I had to have the rest of them for a party this weekend. I looked around and found bupkis, not a dang thing I was looking for was there. That meant I was going to have to go down the street and go to The Avenue. Anyone not familiar with The Avenue, think a high class strip mall filled with overpriced yuppie stores like Pottery Barn, Abercrombie & Fitch and Williams-Sonoma. Plus it's the Holiday season so it's packed with mindless consumer drones taking up all the good parking spaces. I hate The Avenue. I went to the card rack hoping to find a pack of Bowman Draft to steel my nerves for the journey into Shopping Hell. Nope, not a single pack. Hey, there's First Edition, I could get that, it's only a buck.

32 Sarunas Jasikevicius
60 Nene
67 Craig Smith
50 Shawn Marion
157 Antoine Walker
126 Amir Johnson
117 Thabo Sefolosha
142 Maurice Williams
229 Gold Carl Landry Star Rookies
203 Al Horford Star Rookies

I have to admit, any pack with Sarunas Jasikevicius and Thabo Sefolosha is by definition full of awesome. Nene's another gem, what exactly has he done to warrant being a one-namer? I got a Gold rookie and The Matrix so that's good at least. None of that matters because I got the one card I really wanted out of the first and only pack of this stuff I'll buy. Al "Not a Bust" Horford. Al is kicking ass so far in his rookie season, all while playing out of position at Center because Billy Knight has no idea how to build an NBA roster. I would have bought this card outright anyway and here I go pulling out of a pack. Between this and pulling an auto out of a Topps Blaster, I'm on a roll. Time for me to go to Vegas.

1 comment:

William said...

Little known fact about my life: when I was about 9 years old, I got Sarunas Jasikevicius's auto on a Solanco High School (Lancaster, PA) program. We live right nearby and my family went to watch him and this phenom named Johnny Miller (who ended up doing nothing). My dad told me to get their autographs, and I remember some pimply-faced freshman named Jeff signed it as well. I wonder what he's doing nowadays.