Thursday, January 31, 2008

Sox Or No Sox: 1-31-08

Let's play America’s newest sensation, Sox Or No Sox.

The rules are simple. We take one unopened pack of baseball cards that was randomly selected by yours truly. We then go through the pack card by card looking for those hard to find White Sox cards.

Our player in tonight's game is another 2007 Topps Turkey Red pack. The pack contains 8 cards and features a smooth feeling wrapper. Very cool. Let's begin.

#1: Mariano Rivera – 60 - Yankees
I keep running into Mariano lately. I could think of worse things.

#2: Mickey Mantle – 107 - Yankees
Yawn! Another Mickey Mantle card in another Topps product. I never thought I’d ever say that. Not the Mantle SP.

#3: Derrek Lee – 96 – Cubs
A Cubs trap card! Look at him. Taunting me with that home run swing. I can’t truly hate Derrek Lee though.

#4: Lance Berkman – 175 - Astros
He was a tough opponent in the 2005 World Series.

Halfway through the pack. No ex-White Sox players. No White Sox cards. But a dreaded Cubs trap card! 4 cards left to go. Let’s see if we can get a White Sox card!

#5: Phil Hughes – 105 - Yankees
What’s up with all the Yankee cards? What else should I expect with a Yankke on the front of the pack. Nice player though. Not the Ad Back Sp.

#6: Hit Streak (Chase Utley) CL – 168 - Phillies
I like Utley and I like this kind of a checklist.

#7: Vladdy Goes Yard (Vladimir Guerrero) CL – 116 - Angels
Another checklist? At least it looks nice and features a good player.

#8: Ivan Rodriguez – 14 - Tigers
Lil’ Pudge! He made his debut against the White Sox. Ivan symbolizes the chances of me finding a White Sox card have run out.

OK, our pack opening is complete. Not that bad. A Cubs trap card and no White Sox cards. These are nice looking cards, so I can’t complain much.

So, that’s ½ point for each card in the pack. –1 for the Cubs trap card.

Final score: 3 points

No White Sox cards in this game, but there's always next time on Sox Or No Sox.

2 comments:

P.J. said...

Man, you are getting hosed with these White Sox cards. You're going to hate me when I post my latest breaks in a little while. ;)

Steve Gierman said...

I'm sure my time will come soon. I got a Thome insert hit on a Sox Or No Sox game on my site, so I'm optimistic.