Wednesday, April 02, 2008

$10 Wal-Mart Legends Re-Wrap: 2004 Upper Deck r-class

It's been a while since I've purchased one of these.


$10 for 10 packs, can't beat that.

First up is a pack of the memorable 2004 Upper Deck r-class, a one-off product focusing on the legendary 2004 rookie card class. The 180-card base set consists of 90 veterans and 90 "Top of the Class" rookies -- which are short-printed and seeded at the rate of two-per-pack. Every twelfth pack contained an r-class Jersey card, and autographs are seeded at the rate of 1:2880. When the "best" rookie cards are of Jose Capellan and Kaz Matsui, you shouldn't be getting your hopes up, and I'm sure not. Here goes.

Base Set:
Short Set:
Bret Boone
Mike Mussina
Derek Jeter
Roy Oswalt

Top of the Class:
Ivan Ochoa
Jason Frasor
Ummm, yeah. About what I expected. Products like r-class give total justification to the MLBPA's "Rookie Card" guidelines. Four years on, and Ivan Ochoa has yet to make his Major League debut, and Jason Frasor is your classic "gimmicked-rookie-of-a-run-of-the-mill-middle-inning-reliever."

Geez, I wonder how this pack made it's way into a $10 re-wrap?

1 comment:

About said...

Nice purchase. I just got home from Target because I was chasing another Heritage blaster box. Target was all out so I bought a single pack of 2008 Heritage, and it had just 5 cards in it. No relic, no SPs, not even a black back. I was pretty angry. Then I drove 15 miles out of my way to find a couple Heritage blasters at a different Target. I'm happier now. I put my pulls from the Target 5-card Heritage hustler pack on my blog. http://freewebs.com/baseballcards123