Thursday, October 16, 2008

1999 Topps Finest Football

With the recent good news, I felt re-energizied. So much so, I needed to open a pack or two. So why not share?
I managed to pick up a box of this stuff for $15. 12 packs, 13 cards each. Let's take a stroll down memory lane.... 1999 Topps Finest Football.

First, the shiny teal green wrapper.... oooohhh.... shiny!


1st card- a Champ Bailey Rookie! (it says so on the card too...) Champ was later traded to Denver for Clinton Portis staight up. One of the few star for star trades I can remember...
Rob Conrad Rookie - Dolphins
Tim Biakabutuka - Panthers ( I had to re-type that one three times to get it right)
Michael Sinclair - Seahawks
Rod Smith - Broncos - A great wide receiver, recently retired.

Terrel Owens - 49'ers - another great wide out, love him or hate him....

Derrick Alexander - Chiefs WR - not to be confused with Derrick Alexander the defensive end.

Antowain Smith - Bills

Napoleon Kaufman - Raiders - not to be confused with the other Napoleon

Aeneas Williams - Cardinals - a vastly under-appreciated DB

Mark Chmura - Packers - a favourite target of my next card, who you might remember got into a little trouble recently for drinking a few wobbly pops at a party where the ladies weren't all old enough to be there...

Brett Favre - Packers - pure awesomeness The fronts are all nice and shiny, but the backs are pretty good too. Although no career stats, which I would have preferred.
Which leads to my question..... as I prepare (or rather as my wife prepares) to sort and put these into pages... rip or no rip?

Do you peel off the protective film? Or do you leave it on to preserve the originality? I won't say "value"... these are not going to pay for your kid's college fund....

Let me know... do you rip or no?

6 comments:

William said...

Don't rip off the shiny plastic on the more valuable cards [rookies, stars] unless you have doubles. It's hard to peel them off without making a bubble on the edge of the cards with your fingernail. Just my view.

Groat said...

That Favre card is cropped badly. Really nice action shot on it, but it cuts the action off at the top. Oh well, you win some and you lose some.

Captain Canuck said...

*william* you mean there are valuble cards in this set??? really??? I'm so doing a search on TWGM.

William said...

Well, valuable in my broke-ass terms. There are McNabb, Edgerring James, and Torry Holt rookies, Moss and Manning 2nd-year cards...that's good shat in my book.

William said...

...and you're searching on the Texas Water and Gift Mart? hahaha

Unknown said...

I vote to peel. Over the years the protective cover may bubble and I noticed that on some cards the text on cover sticks to the card, requiring a microfiber cloth to clean off. The peeled card looks much cleaner and the surface will be flawless.