Sunday, April 26, 2009

2008 Upper Deck Spectrum

These cards came 4 in a pack in a repack box. I forgot to check the wrapper to see if they really were four to a pack or if that is just what *I* got when I opened the repack. I did say at one point that I was swearing these off, right? Ah, but that is where true addiction comes into play, isn't it?


We've got J.J. Hardy (Brewers) and Don Mattingly (Yankees - Stadium Legacy). According to the back of his card, Hardy was being compared to Robin Yount. I don't follow the Brewers (or much of things in general) so I have no idea if that still rings true or not. Mattingly's card recounts his 100th home run in old Yankee Stadium on 5/15/90.


Ex-triber Brandon Phillips (Reds) and Hanley Ramirez (Marlins) are depicted here. Phillips was on a fast track of self-improvement at this time, giving the Reds a hand in hits, homers and batting average. Ramirez was doing something similar in Florida, focusing on hits, steals, doubles and batting average. In 2007, he was one of two players to get 200 hits for the team in a season. Not too shabby.

As for the cards themselves, I like the colors and design of the Spectrum, I guess. The player pics should have been bigger though. I mean, that *IS* why we buy these little bits of cardboard in the first place, right?

No comments: