Friday, October 05, 2007

1981 Donruss Wax Pack

I strolled into a recently moved card store, which I never gave money to before. The owner seems a bit ok, but having been in the business, I am naturally skeptical. But that’s another post for another day at my Them Bums card blog. They had first year 1981 Donruss for $1.50 a pack, which is not so bad so I decided to give it a bite … but not the gum.

Dennis Leonard (with a slab of gum stuck to it)
Renie Martin (with some gum seepage)
Tommy Hutton
Cecil Cooper
Joe Strain
Dave Frost
Leo Sutherland
Al Woods
Rollie Fingers
Ozzie Smith (but a tad off center)
Manny Trillo
Jackson Todd
Ross Baumgarten
Johnny Bench
Rennie Stennett
Joe Charboneau
Fred Norman
Bill Gullickson

This is a great pack just for Rollie Fingers, Ozzie Smith, and Johnny Bench alone! Three Hall of Famers! Hot damn. I was instantly reminded how the 1981 Donruss set was notorious for being off center. And just how do you get gum and gum juices off a card anyways? Even though this set has crappy photography and the gum situation, I loved opening this pack up. I was six in 1981 and had just started getting into card collecting with my father. The nostalgia factor along with the idea I got 18 cards for $1.50 makes me want to go back and buy the rest of the packs the store had available.

This post would have been some what monumental if only I could have bought a pack of the 1981 Donruss golf set.

No comments: