Tuesday, October 02, 2007

1989 Topps Baseball

Here's another pack from my Toys R' Us haul, 1989 Topps baseball. I've got maybe 70% of this set, so this pack might help me fill in some of the holes in my set. Don't know what happened, but in 1988 and 1989 I have way fewer cards than in '87 and years after.

Let's tear in.

Top to Bottom:
642 Argenis Salazar. (Horrible name, worse facial expression. I'm guessing constipation.)
238 Eric King
761 Dante Bichette (RC?)

771 Ron Kittle (Easily my favorite card in the pack. The reflection off his glasses reminds me of Michaelangelo Antonioni's Blow-Up
(An awesome film in its own right.) If I dig deep enough, I'm sure I can uncover evidence of Cory Snyder committing a crime against Tom Candiotti.
24 Larry Andersen (The "park in driveways, drive in parkways" guy.)

381 Orioles Leaders (Good to see the bat boy get in on the congratulations. Wait...that uniform was worn while sliding into a base. Where's his number? Did the commissioner give Baltimore permission to use ghost runners that year?)
562 Danny Cox

Topps Company Store Puffy-Lettered Sweatshirt (What I wouldn't give...)
726 Dickie Thon
776 Nelson Liriano
492 Alan Ashby
504 Bob Walk (Creepy high school moustache and all.)
210 Dale Murphy
630 Mike Greenwell
516 Eddie Whitson
656 Ivan Calderon

Grade: Crap-minus. Dale Murphy as the big star, unless you count a Red Sock who made the news recently for flipping out at a Little League game, means a poor pack.

4 comments:

Grizzly Adam said...

'89 Topps are some of my favorite, and represent the pinnacle of my card collecting career. 1988 and 1989 Topps cards dominate my childhood collection.

--David said...

Ah, yes, good ol' Kittle... Probably worth the trip to Toys-R-Us right there... LOL, okay, that might be pushin it....

Offy said...

I'm a fan of the 89 Topps set as well. I've got some really nice folders that they did with blown up images of 89 Topps cards on the front, my favorite being Dwight Evans.

"The 'park in driveways, drive in parkways' guy."

Gallagher?

dayf said...

Woohoo Murph! That is a Bichette rookie by the way. '89 Topps gets a bad rap, there are a lot of good rookies in there. Ok, so there isn't THE rookie from that year in the set, but I don't see a Steve Avery rookie card in Upper Deck's '89 set.