Friday, November 28, 2008

2007 Topps '52

While everyone else is out shopping and fighting over slightly discounted iPhones and robotic squirrels (or whatever is the new must-have gadget this year) I'm inside sports that I don't care about and trying to organize stacks of cards that need my attention. He's a pack I got a couple of weeks ago in the Target bargain bin. It's a simple concept: a set full of players that made their major league debut sometime in 2007 with a "heritage" style card stock and using the classic (and incredibly overused) 1952 Topps design. Of course, it's Topps, so they had to mess it up by short-printing cards and creating silly variations. Still, it's Heritage-esque so I had to buy it and try it out.

66 - Jailen Peguero (Buh? It looks like this guy started the 2008 season with the big club, was quickly demoted and then got a call-up when the rosters expanded in September. He'll be 28 next season, so I think I'll hold off on investing in him.)
106 - Eric Stults (Huh? Have I heard of Stults or do I just have another card of his laying around somewhere? He apparently made his debut in 2006, which throws off my unfounded theory about this set a bit. He'll be 29 next season and made 7 starts for the Dodgers last year.)

214 - Kevin Hooper (Beckett tells me this is an SP. Oh thank you, mighty overlords! Hooper looks like he's posing at the park down the street from my apartment. I don't feel like looking him up to find out what he's up to.)
113 - Mike Schultz (Another soon-to-be 29 year old Diamondbacks pitcher. He's pitched exactly 1 inning in his major league career and was AWOL for 2008. I'm starting to turn against this set.)

130 - Tim Lincecum (Alright, fine, Topps. You win. This is apparently the more common variety of Lincecum card from the set.)

163 - Juan Gutierrez (Gutierrez was part of the Jose Valverde deal last offseason and spent the entire 2008 season in AAA for the D-Backs affiliate.)

There was a second pack of these that I've already opened, but I think I'll spare you all the gory details. I need to find the rest of the Cardinals in this set (all I have is Kelvin Jimenez) and put it behind me forever.

3 comments:

AlbuqwirkE said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
zman40 said...

Hooper is the new manager of the Wichita Wingnuts (independent, American Association). Last year, he was their best player.

madding said...

He's a manager now? That's really strange!