Wednesday, November 19, 2008

2008 Upper Deck Timeline

I'm going to drop some weirdness on you guys tomorrow, so here's a nice, safe baseball pack . Well, not so safe, this pack has six short prints (on average). So how can there possibly be 6 short prints per pack? When there are 335 short prints in the set, that's how! This junk is a masochistic set builder's wet dream. So what I'm saying basically is I dig it. I did a primer on the set here, I'll go through each card in the pack as a refresher course. There will be a quiz.

35 Roy Halladay

This is the base card. There are usually two in every hobby pack and 3 to 5 in a retail pack. There are only 50 cards in the non-short printed base set compared to over three hundred short prints. I foresee lots of doubles in my future.

99 Jonathan Albaladejo RC

These are still base design cards but they are only one per pack instead of two. Normally the second card will be a veteran base card, but this pack is special. One thing I just noticed is that the back of the base cards do not have the player's name anywhere. That's not good when you've flipped the card over to type out the card number and need to check to see how to spell Albaladejo.

130 Tyler Clippard 1992 Upper Deck Minors

This isn't a variation card, it's part of the base set short printed to one per pack and given a retro design. The retro cards are the best thing about this set and it's nice that there are about 5 of them per hobby pack.

YSL5133 Don Mattingly Yankee Stadium Tedium

ARGH. The only thing worse than these annoying cards is when it take the place of a short print. It it wasn't Donnie I'd set the damn thing on fire.

61 Chin-Lung Hu Gold Parallel

Base cards have a parallel version with gold ink and foil instead of silver. I think they look better than the silver sersion to be honest. If I get loopy enough to actually try to build a base set (I'm not quite crazy enough to build a complete set yet) I'm pretty sure I'll go colorblind when it comes to gold and silver as far as my set goes.

171 J.R. Towles 1994 All Time Heroes

This is a nifty looking set but pulling the design in a new pack only makes me want to find a box of the original '94 cards. Any set with floating heads is a good set.

200 Micah Hoffpauer 1995 Premier Top Prospects

In the last post I wrote about this stuff, I mocked upper Deck for getting the foil and ink colors wrong. Now I'm thinking I screwed up and the design is supposed to be based on a minor league set unstead of '95 SP. Either way it's ugly and the die cut is unneccesary. This card has roller marks on it too.

279 Ian Kennedy RC 2004 Timeless Teams


This pack should have gone to a Yankee fan... If I could build any of these subsets it would be this one. At 100 cards at one per pack, it would be a bit tricky, but worth it. The design looks great and the back has a photo of the player's home stadium. I love it now, but in 2004 I despised the set and refused to buy any of it. Why? No Braves among the "Timeless Teams".

This is a pretty gimmicky set, but I love the retro (dear Lord is 1992 really retro?). I wish I could get a freaking Brave short print, all I've managed to get so far is a Brent Lillibridge base rookie. There are retail packs of this stuff too but the main difference between retail and hobby is there are a LOT more base cards in the retail set. If just you want to get cards 1-50 and complete the short set, then retail is fine, but this is one of those products where Hobby wax is really the way to go.

7 comments:

Andy said...

Those fucking YSL cards are insane. I can't believe that UD thought it was OK to put them in every goddamn product they put out.

Anonymous said...

Riddle 1:
When is a door not a door?

When it's ajar.

Riddle 2:
When is a short print not a short print?

When there's six of them in a fucking pack!

bailorg said...

So, is there some pent-up demand for "short prints" that I don't know about?

Why does UD think this is a selling point?

Then again, UD has pretty much lost me already for this year due to the saturation of their entire product line with all things Yankee.

dayf said...

Upper Deck did the same thing last year with their SP Rookie Edition set and it flopped. I'm not sure why they tried it again unless they are desperately trying to establish some Retro Cred now that they are almost old enough to buy beer. Offering a retail version might help to that end.

The ultimate effect with 6 short prints per pack is that they aren't so much short prints as the base cards are triple printed. I like the Retro (especially the Timeless Teams) so it doesn't bug me all that much although I'd never ever build a set.

Dinged Corners said...

If you DON'T get loopy enough to build a base set and you decide you don't need the Hu, maybe keep us in mind? But of course we understand loopy.

madding said...

I bought one of the retail packs last weekend for no good reason. How much does a hobby pack cost? I actually think I like... ugh... Upper Deck X better than this set. Even with the roller marks and die cuts with hanging chads...

dayf said...

Retail packs are $1.99, Hobby packs are $4. I think the Hobby packs are actually the better deal, but I'm going to test that theory.

DC: Hu do you want? Let me know and I'll send it your way.