Saturday, November 08, 2008

2008 Upper Deck Timeline

2008 Upper Deck Timeline [$3.50 each at a card show] - I was going through a prolonged pack withdrawal and had to randomly pick up a loose pack of something at a card show. I won't even bother with 2008 Stadium Club [maybe $25-$30 a pack I would assume] and while I'd like to bust a pack or two of 2008 Donruss Threads [to see what the cards look like], I've got three base sets coming through the mail [hopefully soon].

Pack one [8 cards per pack]
#26 Randy Johnson - the base cards seem a little 'junky' with the silver borders
#35 Roy Halladay
#79 Josh Banks

So apparently I get six short print cards on average - are these all the retro themed cards, because I only got five.

I don't know if it matters at all - but I may have mixed up the order of the cards pulled.

#147 Brandon Webb - 1994 Upper Deck All-Time Heroes; these cards are glossy, but the original cards were not.

#331 Jay Bruce - 1993 Upper Deck SP; if this card was released in some alternate non-first-year, non-refractor, non-autograph baseball card collecting world - it would probably be some kind of hot.

#125 Paul Janish -1992 Upper Deck Minor League; pulling this card makes me long for the clean design of the 1992 Upper Deck Minor League set. Maybe because it featured future Major League stars [Derek Jeter, Johnny Damon and Carlos Delgado just to name a few] in their formative years.

#205 Ross Ohlendorf - 1995 SP Top Prospects die-cut; it is annoying you can clearly see the damage on the left hand side of the card.

#213 Max Scherzer - 2004 Upper Deck Timeless Teams; this maybe the best looking design used in this product.

I like how the product plays tricks on your mind - even if you pull nothing of significance [its a midlevel product after all], it is a novelty to pull several different retro themed cards per pack. You kind of take a double take to pore over each card for a moment, seeing how well [or how poor] Upper Deck's efforts were in recycle the basic aspects of several of their products released in the past 17 years.

While the retro theme is interesting - I think the same core of rookies/veterans appear through different 'retro' themed cards, so it maybe best to 'consume' this product in little portions or wait until the price per hobby box goes down to about $15-$20 off the original release price.

5 comments:

Paul Hadsall said...

I kinda like the "grab bag" aspect of the set, but I'd like it a lot better at $2 a pack.

dayf said...

I think the base design rookies are technically "SPs" as well. That's how they get the 6 per pack number.

zman40 said...

I haven't seen those yet, but they are some cool looking cards. I wonder if they will ever show up at Wal-Mart?

GCA said...

I'm still confused on how they figure that cards which make up 3/4 of every pack are going to be short prints. Unless of course there are more SP cards in the set than regular ones, which is stupid.
And rookies with limited or no history on retro design cards always screws with my head. Players with no history on historical cards...ugh.
But Timeless Teams is still one of the all-time awesome designs...

PunkRockPaint said...

Dear Upper Deck Corporation:

It has come to my attention that you have made an unauthorized use of my process of work entitled PunkRockification of cards (the “Work”) in the preparation of a work derived therefrom. I have reserved all rights in the Work, first published in July of 1978, [and have registered copyright therein]. Your work entitled "Upper Deck - Timeline" is essentially identical to the Work and clearly used the Work as its basis.

As you neither asked for nor received permission to use the Work as the basis for "Upper Deck - Timeline" nor to make or distribute copies, including electronic copies, of same, I believe you have willfully infringed my rights under 17 U.S.C. Section 101 et seq. and could be liable for statutory damages as high as $150,000 as set forth in Section 504(c)(2) therein.

I demand that you immediately cease the use and distribution of all infringing works derived from the Work, and all copies, including electronic copies, of same, that you deliver to me, if applicable, all unused, undistributed copies of same, or destroy such copies immediately and that you desist from this or any other infringement of my rights in the future. If I have not received an affirmative response from you by April 1, 2009 indicating that you have fully complied with these requirements, I shall take further action against you.

Very truly yours,

Travis Peterson
PunkRockPaint, Inc