Saturday, November 22, 2008

2008 Stadium Club or a day (or two) late and a dollar (or three) short

The downside to not giving in to one's primal collecting urges is that one misses out on being the 'early' bird when a new set of cards comes knocking. Such is the case for me. I had been putting off a trip to Wally World even though everything in my soul was telling me to go look for new cards. Well, I finally did today (Friday), and I'm now the 3rd, 4th, or maybe 10th person to post 2008 Topps Stadium Club's return to the limelight. Maybe next time I'll buy those 2008 Pop Stars cards (or whatever they are called) I saw instead...

Regardless, my apologies if anyone out there has seen more than enough of the latest Topps offering, but I bought the pack specifically to open on here, plus I love the rebirth of TSC:

The cards above are actually pictured in the reverse order they came out of the pack. Yeap, that means Carmona was the first card i saw when I opened the blister pack! A Triber right out of the gate, and dingle-dorf (that would be me) opts NOT to play 'Tribe-or-no-Tribe-opener' (TonTo, for short)! Figgers. Well, the first three cards are Carmona (Indians), Perez (Cardinals), and Adenhart (Angels). I love the full-card pictures and the retro TSC stripe running along the card near the bottom. Most of the pictures (in this pack anyway) seem to be in-game shots, which is helpful when trying to sell a set called "STADIUM CLUB." One would think the STADIUM part should be a no-brainer...

Posada (Yankees) and Lackey (Angels) finish out the five-card blister. Posada's card is the only one in this grouping that has a different picture on the back than a cropped version of the front image. I wonder why that is. Lackey's card is stamped with a "First Day Issue" award/star/thingy. I used to excited about those kinds of things, but then I realized they could put that stamp on any cards they choose, any time they choose. Who would really know the difference?

What struck me as funny as I was editing was that it appears Posada is telling Lackey to hold up his pitch... Yeah, I'm easily entertained like that....

I love the over-the-top view of Carmona's card. That is a great shot for pitchers. I realize this means that soon EVERY card maker will be using it, but until it is overdone, I like it.. I like it a lot.

3 comments:

NickL said...

man this is one ugly set

madding said...

I would love to get that Chris Perez card from you someday, even though it's obviously a spring training photo since he doesn't wear that number anymore. Stupid spring training.

Are these 2.99 retail? I'd consider buying a few packs if they put in more cards.

sruchris said...

Is Topps using different photos for the same card in 2008 Stadium Club? I opened two retail packs today, both packs had a #144 Justin Ruggiano First Day Issue card, however the fronts are completely different. One he's batting, the other he's sliding. Hmmmm....