Wednesday, November 19, 2008

2008 Topps Stadium Club Baseball's Triumphant Return


I trying to turn last week's Masterpieces Football debacle into a learning experience by purchasing two packs of a new product. Shopping with the fiancee makes me feel less guilt for buying packs of cards. She gets card stock to be used for making programs, and I get Stadium Club.

Let's tear in.

Top to Bottom:
91 Jackie Robinson (There's no better start to a pack than that. I'm wondering, however, why Topps failed to make this card number 42. The photo on the frony is poetic, with Jackie sauntering up to the plate, confident enough to shoot a knowing smile to a friend.)

121 Matt Tolbert RC (Is this my one rookie per pack?)

71 Grady Sizemore (Full bleed home run trot.)

119 Jed Lowrie Photographer's Proof RC (52/99) (Hit of the pack, these are seeded one in sixty packs, according to the wrapper above. Help me out here, is this guy coveted by Red Sox fans?)

12 Miguel Tejada First Day Issue

Grade: A-
Excellent pack with a perfect balance of rookies, stars, and people your great aunt Phyllis, who spends her weekends in search of below-the-radar craft fairs, has heard of. The only improvement that I could see this set making would be for Topps to include a different photo for the back inset picture. This looked chintzy in the 2007 base set, and it still does today.

If Stadium Club doesn't impress you, I've got stickers!

5 comments:

Nachos Grande said...

I've yet to see any Stadium Club cards in my area, but they are nice looking... I'm scared to buy a pack - I'll probably end up trying to get the whole set just like the other five 2008 sets I'm working on...

Joe Martelli Jr. said...

No Jed Lowrie isn't coveted by Red Sox fans. In fact, if you send me the card I'll discard it for you ;)

night owl said...

Jackie. Very. Nice.

dayf said...

ARRRRGH

I want this but no one's got it other than hobby shops!

Screw it, I'm going to open a GOOD pack of cards today...

(that was foreshadowing)

shoeboxlegends said...

Lowrie looked promising for a stretch during the summer this year but has really fallen off. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Red Sox look elsewhere for a shortstop, not sure there's much out there though. Awesome card nonetheless!