Sunday, December 21, 2008

1998 Topps Stadium Club


When I saw the "Never Compromise" slogan, how could I turn away from this pack? Does anyone know if they sold "odds" and "evens" packs of this stuff? My pack says "The Odds" on the front, and all 9 cards I pulled were odd-numbered. What a dumb concept...

#159 - Jeffrey Hammonds - Baltimore Orioles
#31 - Chuck Knoblauch - The design is very simple. Embossed baseball stitching in both the upper left hand corner (a bit difficult to see on Knoblauch's card) and lower right hand corner, with some foil thrown on the lower right hand corner along with the Stadium Club logo, and the player's name in blue ink at lower left.


#203 - Mark McGwire - St. Louis Cardinals - I guess it's fitting that I should pull this card from a 1998 pack. One of baseball's darkest years...


#207 - Chad Curtis - New York Yankees
#211 - Quilvio Veras - San Diego Padres
#97 - Mike Matheny - Milwaukee Brewers
#47 - Jeff Cirillo - Milwaukee Brewers
#223 - Ivan Rodriguez - Texas Rangers

#17 - Brian Jordan - St. Louis Cardinals

I guess the McGwire is the pull of the pack. Yawn...

4 comments:

Chris Harris said...

The "Odds" were the first series, and yes, had all the odd numbered cards (#1-399). This was followed by, you guessed it, the "Evens" (#2-400).

Dumb concept; nice looking set.

night owl said...

That IS a nice-looking set. I think it's the first time I've seen it.

dayf said...

I had completely forgotten about the Odd-Even crap. I still don't understand why they did that.

William said...

1995-98 Stadium Club were HORRIBLE sets. 1999 Stadium Club was a great set, full-bleed photos, very little foil, chances of on-card autographs of stars, true rookies of Matt Holliday, Pat Burrell, Brad Lidge, and Austin Kearns.