Tuesday, December 23, 2008

2002 Topps Ten

I've never heard of this stuff before, but the concept behind the set seems pretty simple. The checklist consists of cards for each of the top ten players in a variety of statistical categories. In one way it just seems like a cheap excuse to release another set, but in another way it provides a nice snapshot of the statistical leaders, kind of like the 1986 Topps Leaders set.

#136 - Jon Lieber - Chicago Cubs - 5th in Wins - I've got a destination in mind for this Cubs card...
#19 - Cliff Floyd - Florida Marlins - 9th in Doubles
#147 - Mike Mussina - New York Yankees - 7th in ERA - I actually don't really mind the look of the cards, although they could be a little less "busy" in my opinion. I mean we have a huge number 7 in the upper right corner of the card. Did they need to include the smaller number 7 in the lower left hand corner, and then the even smaller 7/10 in the lower right hand corner? Mike was 7th in ERA, we get it.


#140 - C.C. Sabathia - Cleveland Indians - 10th in Wins - As a Red Sox fan, I think it's pretty obvious that this guy is going to cause a significant amount of pain in the upcoming season. I hope he doesn't finish in the top 10 in wins in 2009, but the only way I see that happening is injury...


#153 - Hideo Nomo - Boston Red Sox - 3rd in Strikeouts - Sweet! The Red Sox paid Nomo 4.5 million dollars in 2001 to go 13-10 with a 4.50 ERA. He did throw a no-hitter though in his Red Sox debut, the first to be thrown at Camden Yards.


#80 - Bob Abreu - Philadelphia Phillies - 9th in Stolen Bases - I'll always think of him as Bobby, not Bob.

#73 - Roger Cedeno - Detroit Tigers - 2nd in Stolen Bases
If anyone needs any of these they're all up for trade other than the Nomo and the Lieber.

2 comments:

Nachos Grande said...

Interesting, I forgot about that set. I'm fairly certain I bought a pack or two of it at the time...no idea what happened to them though.

capewood said...

Those are nice looking cards. I actually own a Bagwell relic card from this set which I bought on eBay. I'd never seen the base cards and didn't know the gimmick.