Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Sox Or No Sox: 3-5-08

Let's play America’s favorite pack opening game, Sox Or No Sox.

The following pack was donated by John from the UK.

The rules are simple. We take one unopened pack of baseball cards that was randomly selected by yours truly. We then go through the pack card by card looking for those hard to find White Sox cards.

Our player in tonight's game is a 1993 Donruss Triple Play pack. The pack contains 12 cards and features a fiery baseball shooting through outer space. Let's begin.

#1: Awesome Action – 12 – Angels/OriolesDavid Segui and Luis Polonia.
Now I know I’m in 1993!

#2: Cal Eldred – 18 - Brewers
A future White Sox with a screw in his elbow.

#3: Todd Zeile – 24 - Cardinals
I pulled for Zeile when he was with the Cards. By the time he made the Cubs, it was all over.

#4: Steve Avery – 30 – Braves
I loved Avery when I was a kid. He made me feel like anyone could play, since he looked younger than I was.

#5: Bryan Harvey – 225 – Marlins
Well that breaks the every sixth card sequencing.

#6: Chuck Knoblauch – 48 – Twins
Take it on the run, baby. If that’s the way you want it baby. Then I don’t want you around. I don’t believe it. Not for a minute. You’re under the gun, so you take it on the run.

Not that much to the pack. No trap cards. No White Sox cards. A weird sixth card sequencing. I guess Chuck was hiding from the feds inside this pack. 6 cards left to go. Let’s see if we can get a White Sox card!

#7: Steve Hosey – 54 - Giants
The sixth card sequencing is back!

#8: Ruben Sierra – 60 - Athletics
Yes, the sixth card sequencing is definitely back.

#9: Chris Sabo – 184 - Reds
There is no mistaking Chris Sabo!

#10: Luis Polonia – 190 – Angels
Two Polonias in a pack? Plus, a variation on the sixth card sequencing. I always knew Luis was trouble. He was the thorn, und his mudder’s side.

#11: Awesome Action – 196 – Dodgers/Phillies?
It’s definitely Mike Scioscia, but I have no idea who the runner is. Mike blocks the plate as well as the runner’s identification.

#12: Rob Deer – 137 – Tigers
Why did I think Rob Deer was a superstar? Maybe it was the 32 homers in 1992. It certainly couldn’t have been because of his average.

OK, our pack opening is complete. Very interesting pack. No trap cards and no White Sox cards. It also came with a scratch off card game featuring the Phillies Vs. the Mets (2 of 30). I’m not going to play it. I pulled out the victory in Thorzul’s game, so I’m quitting while I’m ahead. This pack was a nice flashback to my youth.

So, that’s ½ point for each card in the pack.

Final score: 6 points

No White Sox cards in this game, but there's always next time on Sox Or No Sox.

No comments: