Tuesday, September 01, 2009

2009 O-Pee-Chee Blaster Pack

Pack seven will get you to heaven.

Chris Tall Young - This is a brown background. It is better than gray, but it is no white. Some text on the back: "On 9/7/08, Young not only nearly became the first Padres pitcher ever to throw a no-hitter, he also almost tossed a perfect game." Way to be one of hundreds who have retired the first 23. It's good enough to get praise from the O-Pee-Chee writer, if nothing else.

Livan Hernandez - He's halfway to 300 wins, folks. I'm just saying. Stranger things have happened.

Joe Inglett (Black Border) - Normally if I have no idea who the guy is, there's an emblem on the front that says "Rookie Card." Not the case with the pensive-looking Inglett here. He played in 109 games last year, and I'm clueless. That's what I get for taking a year off from Roto.

Jonathan Papelbon--Moments - You simply must be joking. The card pretends to honor Pap's 7th straight save to start the season, as if that is a rare accomplishment. Really it's just an excuse to print another card of a big market team. Can I nominate this as the Worst Card of the Year?

Glen Perkins - Beholding the baseball, is what he be doing. He looks a little confused. New binder: players looking befuddled.

Mark DeRosa - This must have been taken on Shadow Day at the O-Pee-Chee studio photography workshop. Still, I like it. If it were of a good player or a DBack, I might really like it. I should try to make a baseball card of myself looking so dramatic. That would surely turn out well.

These are the cards, folks. Pack number eight tomorrow, and we'll be halfway home. Although to be honest, I'm kind of enjoying these cards. Well, most of them.

3 comments:

William said...

I've never heard of Mark Inglett either. What, does he play for the Kintetsu Buffaloes?

skoormit said...

Ha.

No, Joe plays for the Blue Jays, as best as I can tell. His wiki page says: "Inglett is a hard knocks type of guy with no off-season, as he builds houses in Sacramento, California for Colafranseco Framing Inc out of Roseville, California."

Okay, if that's true, that Inglett swings a hammer in the offseason, he just jumped up my favorite list.

Chard said...

"Can I nominate this as the Worst Card of the Year?"

Yes please!