Tuesday, May 27, 2008

1994 Fleer Ultra Series 1 pack completely unharmed by any trucks or other motorized vehicles


I seem to be running across a bunch of '94 Ultra packs lately. I'd wouldn't bother posting if I got a lousy one. This pack is not lousy however.

151 Tom Glavine
75 Doug Henry
226 Darrin Fletcher
173 Kevin Mitchell
9 Cal Ripken Jr.
104 Kurt Abbott
261 Paul Wagner
98 Bobby Munoz
161 Mike Harkey
289 Royce Clayton
47 Eric Plunk
87 Ken Hrbek
273 Mark Whiten
238 Jeff Kent
275 Andy Ashby
39 Frank Thomas
15 of 25 Barry Bonds Award Winners

Gotta like this pack. One certified Hall of Famer, two more who will be in not too long after they retire and one guy who obviously belongs in the Hall of Fame, but will have to wait until the voters are no longer mad at him to get in. Or until all the voters die and are replaced by Sabermetric robots. I, for one, welcome our new Sabermetric robot overlords. That's potentially four Hall of Famers in one pack. Oh, and Jeff Kent. I don't even know what to think of Jeff Kent. I mean, the numbers are certainly there - his stats are most similar to Yogi Berra's for Pete's sake - but it's still. Jeff. Kent. I'm not sure how I'll be able to live in a world where Jeff Kent is in the Hall of Fame but Dale Murphy is not. I mean, Gary Carter has already messed up my world view pretty badly. Kent is still plugging along, so I don't have to worry about it for 6 years at least. Maybe they'll at least get Ron Santo or Minnie Minoso in by then.

None of this really matters because the best card in the pack is Royce Clayton by far. It's so good I've written a second paragraph to this post entirely dedicated to this card. Yeah, the Thomas and Glavine photos are really nice shots of them doing what they do best, but they didn't lay out in a full dive on both the front and back of their cards like Royce has. This is just a very well designed, good looking card. I wish someone would make a card like this today.


No comments: