Sunday, September 28, 2008

Prime Paks Hobby Edition

Today is going to be the biggest baseball day of my life thus far, and I woke up after a restless night with an idea that will increase the fun factor exponentially. Seeing as baseball is the most superstitious of all sports, I thought I'd play a little game with myself that would add the element of chance to an already decidedly arbitrary game. I beat myself up yesterday thinking that if Prince Fielder had hit a ball another two inches or so on June 15 of this year, the Brewers wouldn't be in this spot, plus the AL Central race would have a different makeup altogether.

On the weekly trip to Target, I found a Fairfield repack box that intrigued me greatly. This Prime Paks box boasts six hobby packs. I enjoy opening stuff from a few years ago, so I thought "Why not?" I'll be opening these before and during the Brewers/Cubs game today. I'll be on the lookout for Brewers, of course, which will earn me a certain number of points according to quality. Marlins cards will result in a lower number of points. Mets pulls will equate to massive negative points, and Cubs cards will just be destroyed. All other cards are neutral. A positive score foretells a Brewer playoff appearance, or at the very least a Monday teaser. An overall negative result means the Brewers add to their MLB-longest playoff absence streak. (And, no, I do not take into consideration the Expos/Nationals franchise. The suffering for folowers of either of these autonomous teams has not nearly matched that of Milwaukee fans.) Sure, it's no Cup of Jamshid, but it'll have to do.

First of all, let's see what packs I get to open.

Not too bad, although the 2003 Flair is reaching back a little too far in time. I think I'll begin with the 2006 Sweet Spot.

Let's tear in.

Top to Bottom:
54 Chad Cordero
12 Orlando Hudson

84 Matt Holliday
64 Bobby Abreu

22 David Eckstein

Score: Neutral
Grade: F
I've seen piles of material that have been covered with sawdust by school janitors that looked better than this. I hope these packs get better soon. You can follow all of these hobby rips throughout the afternoon over at Thorzul Will Rule.

No comments: