Saturday, September 20, 2008

Tristar Hidden Treasures (not!)

Quite awhile ago, my good friend Mike over at BadWax, sent me this pack as a "reward" for something or other... I hadn't seen this before... but I'm Canadian, and these are hockey cards, so how bad could it be? Right? AND... I could find a 1951/52 Parkhurst Gordie Freakin' Howe!!!! I could... maybe... no. Not a snowball's chance in H-E-Double hockey sticks....
They try and build you up on the wrapper. Memorabilia! Autographs! Rookies! Vintage!

I'll show you their idea of vintage....


1993/94 Classic Draft Picks Denis Metlyuk. Denis spent one year in Hershey, and the rest in Mother Russia. A high 2nd round pick wasted on this never was by Philadelphia.
1993/94 Upper Deck Pat Elynuik. Pat played 4 years for the Winnipeg Jets.... and that's all I got.


1991/92 Pro Set Robert Reichel - a Flame! Robert won an Olympic gold medal... and is still playing in Europe.

1990/91 Score Canadian Memorial Cup Champions tribute.

This was a cheap ploy to add yet another card of Eric Lindros in their set. That's Eric Lindros. Anyone? Bueller? Think Akili Smith. Todd VanPoppel. You get the idea.


1989/90 OPC Bill Ranford.

Not exactly a Patrick Roy RC... in fact, not even a Bill Ranford RC....

Okay. So it sucked big time. What did you expect ? A '52 Parkie of Gordie Howe?

4 comments:

kevincrumbs said...

I don't like Lindros at all either but to be fair to the guy, his career definitely turned out better than Akili Smith (I say that as a Duck AND Bengal fan) or Todd Van Poppel. I mean, in his day Lindros was an automatic choice for the all star team and didn't he win a Hart Trophy at some point?

Yeah, his career ended on a down note (helped in part by Scott Stevens) and he was always an asshole (although it's hard to decide who was the bigger asshole, Bobby Clarke or Eric Lindros) but he was never as bad as those other guys.

Captain Canuck said...

true. The Big E did have an honest, albeit disappointing career. However when compared to the "hype" surrounding him entering the draft, the subsequent spurning of Quebec, trade to Philly for 17 players, 43 draft picks and a Zamboni... well, that was the point I was trying to make.

Chemgod said...

True bad wax huh?

Bruce said...

Why is there a TV on the ice in the Oshawa Generals card?