Monday, July 14, 2008

1992 Berenstain Bears

Apologies for this taking so long, but I had some unexpected guests over last night. For those of you who aren't aware, I had a reader participation vote going over on Thorzul Will Rule asking what pack I should post first. The readers have spoken, and I must applaud all of you for your bravery. The vote went 11-3 in favor of a pack of Berenstain Bears Story Cards over a pack of 2008 Topps Co-Signers, but in a somewhat mysterious development, all three Co-Signers supporters posted their votes anonymously. Punk bitches.

Let's tear in.

Before we start, I should point out that this product was released as a series of six sequential packs. This one I'm posting is actually pack 2 in the series, with all pack 2's being identical to one another. Furthermore, a story started in one pack is finished in another.

Let's begin now.
Apparently the basic arc of this story involves the Bears' treehouse being in a state of filth and disrepair. I'm not sure if Brother is at fault for this mess, but something needs to be done.

I'm not sure how dirty wash gets on the line. It kind of seems like going out of your way to make more work for yourself. Unless, of course, there was a mud fight that I didn't read about from pack 1.

Father's quick thinking makes it look like the house might get cleaned after all. (Note: I implore you not to miss the social commentary going on here. Let me paint you a picture of the exploitatitive labor practices that are taking place here. Bear = "White Person", Woodland Creature = "Illegal Migrant Worker". Turns out Stan and Jan know their shit.)

Cutest card ever...possibly on a par with Hamtaro's Snoozer. Or anything holding a sunflower seed the relative size of a baked ham.

The filthy vermin continue to clean.

In the end, everything turns out OK. Lesson learned: Upon reaching an adequate level of financial resources, hire someone with darker skin than you to carry out the most menial of tasks. The social commentary is scathing.

The pack is rounded out by an art lesson.

On the back side are two of the greatest stickers I've ever seen.

Well, that's that, readers. Actually, that's only half of that. A second story is begun on the second half of pack 2. I will try to post that and its second half (from the first part of pack 3, the only other one I bought) on one of these blogs soon.

While you wait, why don't you help me out with one of the Berenstain cards I left out of this sharing experience. Let's all head across the quad to Thorzul Will Rule...Caption Contest!!!

1 comment:

William said...

You should get that squirrels dusting card graded...I think it could pull a 9.5 or better hahaha.