Friday, August 15, 2008

1989 Topps All-Stars Double Headers

I got a package in the mail today from fellow APAD contributor Shane Diaz. It was a nice surprise for a Friday, we had a trade brewing but I didn't expect a bunch of neat packs to be in there as well. Here's one of them, A DoubleHeader pack from 1989. This oddball set has a tiny reprint card encased in a plastic stand so you can display it proudly. This is the first pack of this I've opened, let's see who is in the set:

Fooey, no Braves. Not even Murphy. They sucked hard in 1988 though so not too surprising. From the checklist it looks like the best possible pull for me would be Pudge, the worst John Franco. Yeah, he was a great closer, but that doesn't mitigate the fact that he was an evil Met. Let's open!

Jose, can you see? Seriously, can you see that? These things don't scan for crap. I gotta get my camera fixed. The '88 MVP is on his classic '89 card on one side...


And his '86 Traded card on the back. Not a bad oddball pull although the plastic case was a little scuffed out of the pack. The stand kind of looks like a teeny little PSA case. I wonder if this is where they got the idea?

3 comments:

madding said...

I totally forgot about those stand-up mini cards. I had a few of those. If I remember correctly, the plastic felt incredibly cheap and I'm pretty sure I broke at least one or two of them. I think they must have gotten lost among some oddball box many moves ago, sadly.

madding said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
--David said...

I have the Triber represented by the set. It's a neat oddball item, bu I have been tempted to break the foot off so that I can put the dang thing in a binder page!