Thursday, August 13, 2009

1991 O-Pee-Chee Premier

I'm going through the repack packs one at a time. 1991 O-Pee-Chee Premier was not one of my favorite sets at the time, but I've grown to like it more and more as the years have passed. Clean design, good photos, no gimmicks.

Delino DeShields
Ron Gant - The back of these sacrifice statistical thoroughness in favor of a second full-color photo, normally a studio smile or an outside closeup.
Kelly Gruber
Doc Gooden - Oh, what could have been. Doc had 119 victories before his 26th birthday.
Darryl Strawberry - Back to back heartbreakers. Darryl had 252 HR before he turned 29.
Denis Boucher - Here's a studio smile on the back.
Rene Gonzales

I really do like this set. The layout works well--white borders, gold header, team color around the other sides of the photo. Good photos. It's only 132 cards long, too. I might try to pick up a box and put the set together.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed the irony of Gooden and Strawberry appearing together. I am in the process of opening three boxes of this set and I am realizing that Gooden and Strawberry ALWAYS appear back to back! Awesome that somebody at the factor had knowledge & sense of humor to do that.

William said...

Ron Gant for Emperor.