Saturday, June 07, 2008

A Pack Smelling of Victory: 2008 Upper Deck Fat Pack

Today's mail brought forth the pack of cards that dayf had wagered in the Brewers/Braves series a couple of weeks ago. This man's generosity speaks for itself, but he really came through this time with a jumbo pack of 2008 Upper Deck. This sucker is big, brotha! I'm used to packs of no more than 8 cards, but this thing will take me a couple of minutes to go through.

To give you an idea of its size, I traversed my home in search of cool things that this pack is bigger than. I'm not exaggerating when I claim it could be used as a yardstick, one that could pass any acceptable limits from the U.S. Dept. of Weights and Measures. Well, maybe I am guilty of hyperbole here, but so are those stupid themed bars in Spring Break towns that boast drinks referred to as "yards." Those things are two feet tops! Here's what I came up with.

A. A Criterion Collection DVD (a few years OOP by now) of Alfred Hitchcock's Rebecca. I could probably get a box of something really nice by flipping this on eBay, but that ain't gonna happen.

B. A Ryan Braun bobblehead, procured this past Sunday. The wedge of cheese upon which he stands makes this SGA fall just short in twofold ways. First, it doesn't quite measure up to the fat pack, and second, it ruins an otherwise nice bobble. Stuff like this ruins teams. If you don't believe me, just go to Google and type in "Turnbow," "bobblehead," and "hair," and you're likely to find rants from the shores of Lake Michigan about this particular stadium giveaway's curse.

C. The coolest novel about video games ever written. Your library probably doesn't have it, but try to track it down.

D. One of last night's beers. This is a new product from Point. (More on this delicious brew here, along with a better view of the excellent artwork.) I'm guessing if you're not from Wisconsin, you probably can't get it, but I'd love someone to prove me wrong.

Sorry for the tease, but I'll get to the actual cards later on.

2 comments:

dayf said...

I have that novel! That novel is awesome!!

HookMan said...

Eagerly awaiting your pack break. I actually went to Walmart last night and bought a Series 1 Rookie Edition Fat Pack and a Series 2 FP because of this blog post. I haven't opened them yet because I'd actually prefer to get some of the Presidential Predictors and I know they don't come in the Fat Packs. I may return these and get some regular packs at WM. Not sure if we have any hobby shops around or else I'd try to get hobby packs. But I am itching to break a pack (any pack, really). Longtime collector whose been away from collecting since the last Strike but has recently gotten the bug again to break wax. Your blog and similar blogs aren't dissuading me! The 2008 UD looks very nice with the full bleed and the great photography. I am actually more of a base card collector; maybe I am out of the norm? I have a feeling if I return these two FPs I may regret it because of what may be inside. What to do...hmmmm?