Monday, September 10, 2007

1987 Topps Stickers

Yes, Virginia, here's another sticker post. In my basement sit about 9 boxes of 1987 Topps stickers. I received the album as an Easter present in 1987, and early last year I finished the set. I will reserve comment on this product because another more antiquated set is coming up on Pack-A-Day soon. All I need to say is that this is a vastly inferior line compared to the 1987 card set, one of the greatest of all time, and a set that pops up from time to time on my personal card blog Thorzul Will Rule if you look hard enough.

Keith Hernandez, although he was unable to impress Elaine Benes on their first date, appears on the front of this 20-year-old pack.

Let's tear in.

Top to bottom:
129 Tony Pena/291 Greg Walker

33 Denny Walling/196 Robin Yount (Great pull! Robin Yount is the only player I collect extensively, so I already have this in all its forms, including hardback, but it's always great to pull a #19.)

38 Ken Oberkfel/200 Paul Molitor ("The Ignitor" right after Yount. If I were eight years old, I would have gone apeshit over this.)
108 Terry Kennedy/269 Lance Parrish (Too bad Kennedy isn't yelling at anybody in this one.)
140 Bill Gullickson/302 Willie Randolph

Grade: A- Based on personal interest alone, this pack is a winner. The only thing that would have made it better would have been a foil All Star. At least I didn't get one of the two Bruce Ruffin stickers available in this set (Base, Future Star) or a Jim Deshaies Record Breaker. As an added bonus, I got my all-tme worst-named baseball player, Ken Oberkfel. My best friend when I was little teased me mercilessly after hearing my butchered pronunciation of his name, which came out of my mouth like "Overfunkel," which, when you consider it, is a much cooler name.

Tonight, I'd like to unveil the first ever Pack-A-Day contest. The first reader who can identify the player on the cover of the 1987 Topps Sticker Album and post it in the comments section can win the contents of this pack of cards. Leave a way for me to contact you, and I'll have you send me a SASE and I'll send you the stickers. Good luck!

3 comments:

Joe Martelli Jr. said...

Michael Jack Schmidt. I won the stickers! I can't believe I won the stickers! I think I finished 4 of these albums

NickL said...

Eff. I missed this by two seconds. I want a Bo Jackson anyway.

Ben M said...

Come on-- the '88 Panini with Mattingly on the cover was the only one that REALLY mattered.