Monday, September 24, 2007

2007 Goudey: Packs #1 & #2

Yes folks, I've decided to take the plunge. I bought a Blaster box of Upper Deck's new Goudey baseball. It was just staring me in the face in the check out like at the Target. What was I supposed to do, not buy it?

Pack #1

Base:
Andruw Jones
Todd Helton
David Wright
Chone Figgins
Dontrelle Willis
Jim Edmonds
Michael Barrett
Freddy Sanchez

Pack #2

Base:
Zach Duke
Mike Jacobs
Brad Lidge
Jeff Kent
Curt Schilling
Adam LaRoche
Maggilo Ordonez
Alex Rodriguez Heads Up (SP)

Considering Upper Deck's previous ventures into "retro" themed products, (i.e. Vintage, Play Ball, and UD Retro) I was skeptical that UD had an "Allen & Ginter" type product in them. But you know what, I have to give the devil it's due because UD pulled it off. While not exactly perfect, Goudey stays true to the original -- almost to a fault.

First things first, I don't like the under-sized format. It's 2007, not 1933. How the hell are you supposed to store these cards without damaging their corners? Memo to Upper Deck: We want our cards in the 2 1/2" X 3 1/2" format, thank you very much.

Also, I'm still on the fence regarding the "Red Backs" and "Green Backs." It kind of reminds me of the "Silver" and "Gold" cards from '96 Flair, in which both variations were printed in roughly the same quantities. (This is probably the only time you will hear '07 Goudey compared to '96 Flair.)

I also think that the short-printed "Heads Up" cards -- which are tacked onto the tail end of the base set -- probably would have worked better as an insert.

2 comments:

dayf said...

The original '38 Heads up cards were also numbered 241-288 which is why they did the same thing here. Unfortunately the extra 44 short prints pretty much make getting a complete set with SP's an impossibility for me, or at least puts it way, way down on my list of priorities. Like you said, true to the originals to a fault.

I love the hell out of the mini size though. Screw the dings, Goudeys don't really seem like Goudeys to me if they have pristine corners. It's taking all my strength of will to resist pulling out the toenail clippers and giving my set perfectly round corners like all the rest of my vintage Goudeys.

--David said...

I agree with dayf - I love the size of the UD Goudeys (yoo-dee, goo-deez!!)... I digress... Yeah, you have buy some correctly-formatted card pages, but what the hey! :-)