Thursday, September 20, 2007

2007 Topps Allen & Ginter


Timing is everything.

Despite having most of the set, I still have a hard time resisting grabbing one more pack of this stuff when I see out on the shelf. It's probably because since last year's packs dried up so quickly, my instinct is to get it while the getting's good. I yielded to temptation and picked up this pack recently. This pack is either a great pack or one of the worst, depending on your point of view.
76 Garret Anderson
203 Justin Verlander SP
ARHR263 Alex Rodriguez BS Waste of Space Home Run #263
ARHR256 Alex Rodriguez BS Waste of Space Home Run #256
Mini nno India Flags of all Nations
Checklist two of two
114 Homer Bailey RC
291 Trevor Hoffman
On the surface, this is a great pack. It's hard to beat a Verlander short print, a flag of India mini card and two A-Rod inserts without pulling an auto or relic. Garret Anderson is arguably the worst card in this pack. Think about that. One small problem: I have all these cards already. Well, not the A-Rods, but I didn't want them in the first place. I've got each of the base cards, the India flag I picked up in an auction a while back and I actually have four Verlanders. That's right, four. I think Justin's a hell of a pitcher, but I don't need four of this card.This is why it sucks to buy packs once you've hit the point of diminishing returns. It becomes a gamble for a relic at that point and it may as well be a scratch off lottery ticket. You hit a good one like this and still end up disappointed because it's a double pack. I actually feel bad for buying this pack away from someone who could appreciate it. At least I have more stuff to trade now.

1 comment:

Offy said...

With all of the parallels, getting a rare hit isn't even a guaranteed good card either. I picked up 3 packs at Target knowing full well that I probably had no chance at the big hits due to pack searching. I did get a Bazooka back... of the Eiffel Tower. I think it goes for about $1 on eBay.