Thursday, September 27, 2007

2002 Topps 206

Ok, so that was a dirty trick dangling a cool pack in front of your eyes and then not opening it. I was running waaaay late for work last night and I wanted to post something. Besides, I thought it might get some of the lurkers to post a comment and I was right. You didn't really think I'd be able to resist opening this thing, did you?

62 Kenny Lofton
18 Edgardo Alfonzo
53 Bartolo Colon
90 Mike Cameron
131 Brandon Duckworth
151 Bill Hall
44 mini Brian Giles Polar Bear
T206-15 Sammy Sosa


Before I even bought it, I know I'd pull an Edgardo Alfonzo out of this pack. I guessed it would be the mini card though. Kenny Lofton's card looks great, plus he's in an Indians uniform where he belongs. Speaking of Indians, what the heck happened to Bartolo Colon? Did he catch Mo Vaughn disease? I think it's the Disney influence. There seems like there's been a bunch of players signing big contracts with the Angels and then turning into a pumpkin when the clock strikes midnight. Even so, they still might end up winning the World Series. I guess pumpkins do best in October.

The back of the pack gives odds for Rookies at 1:2. I didn't think there were SPs in this series. This pack has two rookies, Bill Hall and Brandon Duckworth. I suppose one of them may technically be a prospect card, but I can't tell which one. Bill Hall was my big fantasy bust this year. I figured hey, third baseman eligibility with outfield production, how can I lose? I ended up replacing him with BJ Upton off waivers so I guess I didn't lose after all. Brian Giles is the mini in the pack, and the Slammin' Sammy pack searching discourager card is the last one in the pack. This is actually the first series one pack I've opened, but it seems kind of silly to put the thick card in the back of the pack. Wouldn't a relic card be obvious if it was the last one in the pack? That, folks, is why you always buy boxes of this stuff.


Unfortunately, I need none of the cards for my set. I don't have the Giles mini card, so it's not a complete double pack at least. Now I can finally say I opened a T206 first series pack and that experience is worth more than an unopened pack collecting dust.

2 comments:

--David said...

I wholeheartedly agree with your Lofton statement. I am so glad the Tribe were smart enough to bring him back to Jake for his final season(s). Welcome home, buddy!

Grizzly Adam said...

That Lofton card does look great.