Sunday, September 30, 2007

2006 Fleer Tradition Baseball

Not sure exactly how I'm going to go about busting this repack box. I've thought about going in some sort of chronological order, maybe starting with the most recent and traveling back in time, but what will most likely happen will be a random, haphazard choice of packs.

Pack Wrapper: Ken Griffey, Jr. I can't tell you how sick of the Cincinnati Reds I am. This season I saw the Reds play at least four times in three different cities. I saw them lost to the Diamondbacks in April in Arizona, followed by a trip to Cincinnati in July and home games in Milwaukee toward the end of the summer, all of which were Brewer losses. To top it all off, there's some douchebag, out-of-focus Cub in the background. How can you tell from this wrapper that this game is not taking place at Wrigley Field? No, it's not because of the uniforms, although that might be your second hint. Actually, it's because the fans in the stands are actually watching the game. Am I bitter? Yes, but I look forward to relishing every moment of the playoff beating the Cubs will inevitably take.

Let's tear in.

Top to Bottom:

38 Bengie Molina
3 John Smoltz
15 Bartolo Colon
146 Ian Kinsler (RC)
104 Carlos Beltran
182 Joe Nathan

181 Torii Hunter (Looking ready to steal, though clearly not factoring in the wind resistance his gloves will undoubtedly cause.)
139 John Van Benschoten (RC)
175 Chris Shelton
123 Khalil Greene (B&W Parallel)

I have to say I like the look of this set. In some ways it reminds me of a Topps football set from the '80s, not one in particular, but an amalgam of several different years. You gotta love a set that has the balls to use purple graphics on a non-Rockies card. Plus, there are team caps in the lower left-hand corner, reminiscent of 1981 Topps baseball. (Click here for more on this set at Thorzul Will Rule.)

1 comment:

Jason Wilder said...

This certainly does have an early 80s feel to it, except that all of the players aren't rail thin (that's a teaser for my next post).