Thursday, September 13, 2007

2007 Topps Allen & Ginter Retail: Box #2 Pack #8

Alright, last pack of the last box. Do I continue to press my luck? Or should I pass this last spin, errr.... I mean, pack to The Cardboard Junkie knowing that he'll need something that comes with an additional spin just to stay in the game?

"Peter, I think I'm going to Press my Luck!"

"Alright, BIG BUCKS! BIG BUCKS! No Mirrors, AND......


Ryan Shealy
Robinson Cano
B.J. Ryan
Ted Toles (SP)

Roman Emperors Caesar Augustus (stealth insert)

Alex Rodriguez Road to 500 Bullshit Waste of Cardboard: #272 (1:24)

Yes, I pulled the cardboard equivalent of hitting the Whammy: another lousy A-Rod mirror card. The fact that I pulled one in a pack of Allen & Ginter, of all products, makes me despise the whole "mirror" concept that much more.

On the other hand I did get one of those Roman Emperor "stealth" inserts (and a pretty good one to boot: Augustus), and an SP of Negro Leaguer Ted Toles -- which like all the SPs in this Blaster, is one that I already had.

You know what would make a cool stealth insert for '08 TA&G? Vintage game show villains. There could be "The Whammy" from Press Your Luck, of course; "The Dragon" from Tic Tac Dough; the "Bankrupt" wedge from Wheel of Fortune; "The Big, Bad, Bob Eubanks Pez Dispenser" from Remote Control; and my personal favorite, "The Gauntlet of Villains" from the obscure late-70s game show Whew!

In the meantime, here's a new addition to my gallery of 2008 Allen & Ginter Fantasy cards: "The Whammy." And joining him is Michael Larson, the man who "hacked" Press Your Luck and ripped CBS off for over $110,000 in cash and prizes, then lost most of it in a real estate Ponzi scheme shortly thereafter.

1 comment:

--David said...

By far, one of the most entertaining posts I've seen in a while... If memory serves, Larson now appears on at least TWO variations of '08 A&G fantasy cards... I think the boys at Topps should be paying attention here....