Thursday, September 13, 2007

2007 Topps Allen & Ginter Retail: Box #2 Pack #8

Alright, last pack of the last box. Do I continue to press my luck? Or should I pass this last spin, errr.... I mean, pack to The Cardboard Junkie knowing that he'll need something that comes with an additional spin just to stay in the game?

"Peter, I think I'm going to Press my Luck!"




"Alright, BIG BUCKS! BIG BUCKS! No Mirrors, AND......

......STOPPPP!!!!!!!!"


Base:
Ryan Shealy
Robinson Cano
B.J. Ryan
Ted Toles (SP)

Inserts:
Roman Emperors Caesar Augustus (stealth insert)

Mirrors:
Alex Rodriguez Road to 500 Bullshit Waste of Cardboard: #272 (1:24)

Yes, I pulled the cardboard equivalent of hitting the Whammy: another lousy A-Rod mirror card. The fact that I pulled one in a pack of Allen & Ginter, of all products, makes me despise the whole "mirror" concept that much more.

On the other hand I did get one of those Roman Emperor "stealth" inserts (and a pretty good one to boot: Augustus), and an SP of Negro Leaguer Ted Toles -- which like all the SPs in this Blaster, is one that I already had.

You know what would make a cool stealth insert for '08 TA&G? Vintage game show villains. There could be "The Whammy" from Press Your Luck, of course; "The Dragon" from Tic Tac Dough; the "Bankrupt" wedge from Wheel of Fortune; "The Big, Bad, Bob Eubanks Pez Dispenser" from Remote Control; and my personal favorite, "The Gauntlet of Villains" from the obscure late-70s game show Whew!

In the meantime, here's a new addition to my gallery of 2008 Allen & Ginter Fantasy cards: "The Whammy." And joining him is Michael Larson, the man who "hacked" Press Your Luck and ripped CBS off for over $110,000 in cash and prizes, then lost most of it in a real estate Ponzi scheme shortly thereafter.



1 comment:

--David said...

By far, one of the most entertaining posts I've seen in a while... If memory serves, Larson now appears on at least TWO variations of '08 A&G fantasy cards... I think the boys at Topps should be paying attention here....