Sunday, November 09, 2008

2008 Topps Treasury Basketball

This pack has been sitting in my "to post" pile for quite a while. Today seems to be a good day to share it. My football team didn't have a good day, but I'm not too upset because I didn't watch it. I'm far too smart and have lived far too long to get sucked into watching any game taking place in the Metrodome. While the Pack's record over the last few years has been good there, I was waiting for the law of averages to come into play. Plus, any money saved by not having to buy blood pressure medication in my more susceptible years can go towards more packs of cards.
On a more pleasant note, my Bucks, with a 3-4 record, are wildly surpassing local expectations. That's right, wildly surpassing. I hope this demonstrates how low the expectations were indeed.

Let's tear in.

Top to Bottom:
19 Deron Williams (I don't really follow pro basketball, so I have no idea who this is. It says he played at Ilinois, but I still don't have a clue. I guess I should start paying attention to basketball games other than those played during the month of March that are gambled on by everyone from Supreme Court justices to retired children's librarians to dominatrices.)

75 Richard Jefferson (I do know this guy, however. Too bad he's not in a Bucks uni. Speaking of which, did anyone see the Bucks wearing their alternate third jerseys at the home opener? They looked suh-weet! Made me wish I was alive for the Big O/Alcindor years.)

34 Paul Pierce (Part of last year's NBA Finals that just made everyone outside of LA and Boston wish they could go back 20 years ago to watch real stars play.)

80 Caron Butler (Seeing and hearing his name always makes me think about robots. I am the K-RON 5200, ready to be of service.)

6 Luis Scola Chrome/Refractor/Something Shiny (843/999)

Topps of the Class Theft Deterrent Greg Oden (Anyone else find it unsettling that the guy urging kids to stay in school completed one year of college? I'm not knocking his choice to leave school; athletic success has a narrow window of opportunity while school will always be there. But couldn't Topps have selected some like...I don't know...Grant Hill, four-year graduate of Duke University? Or perhaps Emeka Okafor, who was a two-time Academic All-America at Connecticut?

Just throwing it out there.

1 comment:

madding said...

I'd love to see more basketball cards on APAD (mostly because I don't want to buy them myself.) Deron Williams is supposedly the second best PG in the league, but I really don't see it. He's like 1/10th of a Chris Paul. Right now he's hurt, but Utah seems to be doing just fine without him.