Wednesday, October 08, 2008

1990-1991 Hoops

Sorry I haven't been posting on here lately. After the new look of APAD, with all the new cool features, this page loads after about 10 minutes. I chalk it up to needing a new computer and the new layout. This is one of the few sites that causes my browser to freeze for the full length of "Oh Well" by Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac and then some.

Anyway, basketball is not my sport. I do enjoy it, but I'm not passionate about it. These packs arrived in a package from Captain Canuck. It started with this note stuck to the first pack.

"I warned everyone on "APAD" whomever I trade with.... gets Hoops!"

With that ominous warning, how could I not be intrigued? So what could it be? Four packs of Hoops basketball. Basketball? OK. I've been known to follow a Chicago Bulls game. I did follow basketball from the late eighties until the mid nineties, then pretty much just followed Bulls games. It should be interesting to see if I remember anything from 1990. Basketball is pretty foreign to me now, but I followed it when these packs were created.

Let's rip!

1990-1991 Hoops

270 - David Robinson
I know him! Good start!

267 - Sean Elliot
I remember him.

66 - Stacey King
A Bull!

177 - Larry Krystkowiak
The name looks familiar.

242 - Mark West
Drawing a blank.

320 - Bill Musselman
I don't remember many coaches.

217 - Dave Corzine
Born in Arlington Heights, Il. and played 7 seasons for the Bulls. The name sounds familiar, but not really.

244 - Wayne Cooper
Rings a bell, but I don't know why.

76 - Paul Mokeski
His middle name is Keen?

96 - Jerome Lane
Not a clue.

133 - Vern Fleming
I know of Ian Fleming.

8 - Robert Parrish All-Star
I know him!

263 - Willie Anderson
Nope.

145 - Gary Grant
Uhhhhh... sorry.

108 - Gerald Henderson
Not sure of who he is.

The first pack started off strong, but then kind of trailed off. These may all be great players, but I don't remember most of them.

Second pack
1990-1991 Hoops

91 - Michael Adams
Sorry.

159 - Byron Scott
I know the name.

34 - Alexander Volkov
Who?

86 - Derek Harper
Not sure.

33 - Kenny Smith
I'm at a loss.

114 - Rod Higgins
Sounds familiar.

139 - Rik Smits
Sounds very familiar.

299 - Charles Jones
A Bullet! Why did they ever become the Wizards? That sounds so lame.

178 - Brad Lohaus
Can't recall.

58 - Robert Reid
Yeah!... no.

303 - Darrell Walker
Another Bullet! Sounds familiar.

16 - Clyde Drexler All-Star
I know him! Who or what is a Drexler?

197 - Jack Haley
I remember him!

268 - Caldwell Jones
Did he start a bank? That's what I'm thinking.

156 - A.C. Green
I remember him!

Not bad, but I don't recall a lot more players in this pack. On to pack three.

1990-1991 Hoops Series II

147 - Danny Manning
'Kay...

370 - Pooh Richardson
Pooh? Really? An illustration of Pooh? 'Kay...

229 - Hersey Hawkins
I remember him!

48 - Brian Shaw
Not a clue.

365 - Reggie Miller
An illustration of a player that I know!

157 - Magic Johnson
About $180,000 shot directly into the bloodstream seems about right. Without it, the Red Hot Chili Peppers couldn't record their song.

288 - Blue Johnson
I don't want to know how he got that nickname.

241 - Kurt Rambis
Don't remember him, but he looks like he should be teaching science.

346 - Bob Wiess
Old school Bull alert!

255 - Antoine Carr
Nope. Sorry.

189 - Tod Murphy
Who?

435 - Sidney Green
Kinda sorta remember him.

183 - Jack Sikma
Uh-uh. Don't recall.

310 - Richie Adubato
He replaced Dick Vitale and looks like Dick Cheney.

387 - Dell Curry
Stay In School. It's Your Best Move. Good advice from a trading card.

On to pack four!

1990-1991 Hoope Series II

295 - Mark Alarie
He gets points for being a Bullet, but nothing from my memory bank.

412 - Joe Wolf
Not a clue here.

128 - Larry Smith
He looks demonic in his profile pic on the back.

248 - Drazen Petrovic
I seem to remember the name, but not much else.

440 - Checklist
You could find yourself whisked away to Delaware. Hi. I'm in Delaware.

36 - Dominique Wilkins
I know him!

233 - Kenny Battle
Great name! No clue.

141 - Randy Wittman
There sure were a bunch of white guys that I've never heard of in this set.

380 - Karl Malone
An illustration of the Mailman!

54 - Armon Gilliam
Sounds like a European vampire who sketches. I don't remember him either.

307 - Gene Littles
I remember coaches even less.

411 - Orlando Woolridge
Sounds very familiar but can't place him.

121 - Tom Tolbert
I remember him for some odd reason. Who knows why.

279 - Shawn Kemp
I know him!

406 - Danny Ferry
Not a clue.

It turns out I remembered a lot more than I thought I would. Still, most of the players are a mystery to me. It was an interesting experience. One that I probably won't repeat anytime soon, but I enjoyed opening these packs. If only for the fact that I saw the Washington Bullets again. Thanks, Captain Canuck!

2 comments:

Captain Canuck said...

you're welcome. I think.

PunkRockPaint said...

Yeah. Since the redesign this thing loads slower than...

slower than...

slower than I can think of some thing clever to say how slow A Pack a Day loads.

Okay, faster than I can think of something clever... but slow nonetheless.