Wednesday, October 03, 2007

2007 Topps Allen & Ginter

Hello, everyone. I am new here. I am no stranger to card collecting having collected since 1981 and having a father who owned a shop back in the late 80s into the middle 90s. I am getting back into the collecting game and my posts will certainly follow that them.

My first hurrah back into card collecting. Three packs of 2007 Topps Allen & Ginter. It’s been over a decade since I analyzed a pack of cards, let alone three at one time so bare with me.

Pack #1
Fyodor Dostoevsky (parallel)
Lastings Milledge
Dan Uggla
Checklist
Carlos Guillen
Milton Bradley
Greg Louganis

Pack #2
Gary Matthews (black parallel)
Jarrod Saltalamacchia
Grady Sizemore
Adrian Beltre
Noah Lowry
Lance Berkman

Pack #3
Morocco (mini flag)
Aramis Ramirez
Frank Catalanotto
Josh Bard
Checklist
Andre Ethier
Phil Hughes

Well, that was pretty uneventful. Even pulling Ethier, the lone Dodger (my favorite team), was quite underwhelming. All potentially exciting players for years to come, Matthews, Uggla, Bard, Sizemore, I believe are all short prints. What that means, I am not so sure. I have Beckett’s and oversized Tuff Stuffs but they are wickedly out of date. I saw Hughes at my first ever Yankee game at Yankee Stadium back in August. I was unimpressed, but hey, the Yankees are in the playoffs and the Dodgers are not. Saltalamacchia has the longest last name is baseball and Bradley’s ACL tore after an ump swore at him.

All in all, I love these cards. They are definitely over priced though. But they give that certain tingle of excitement like I got when I first started collecting. As you will soon find out, not all popular cards with collectors do that to me. But this set does. Perhaps it is the fact that it goes beyond baseball players. For instance, I want to try to find a Jason McElwain card. He lives in my area and his story is certainly remarkable.

I am guessing that my next pack will take me back into the 80s. There’s a couple card shops in my area and some have mid-80s rack and cello packs as well as mid-80s Topps, Fleer, and Donruss wax packs.

3 comments:

Ben M said...

Welcome, Jason.

nickball said...

Hey Jason.

My story is similar to yours. I just started collecting again earlier this year after not doing so for over a decade, since I was a kid. Allen and Ginter was the second set I started collecting this year, and it certainly has probably been the main reason why I'm collecting again. It can get pretty expensive though.

Jason Wilder said...

Thanks Ben!

I am glad to know that I am not alone Nickball. It's a bit overwhelming to say the least.