Thursday, August 07, 2008

1987 Topps WWF

Aw yeah! If you're a child of the 80s like I am, chances are you pried open more than one pack of 1987 Topps WWF. I never really got into wrestling but these cards crack me up. It was clearly worth the $2 I paid for this pack for the wrapper alone. I'm hoping for an Andre the Giant...

57 - Harts Hit Concrete - Do you see any concrete here?

67 - Nice Guys Finish Last! - My favorite card in the pack by a mile. Why? Knowing that children would undoubtedly collect this set, Topps decided to lay some moral groundwork down with a nice quote on the back of this card. Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart says:
"The way I look at it, only chumps go by the rules. Only one thing means anything to me, and that's winning, baby. It's easier to win by breaking the rules. And it's more fun that way."

31 - King Harley Parades - Nothing goes better with tight spandex wrestling shorts, kneepads and boots than a gigantic purple cape and a crown.
51 - Fighting the Full Nelson - Back of card indicates that this shot is from the "Battle of the Full Nelsons". That sounds like the most boring wrestling match in history.

WWF Sticker - This will be placed on my Trapper Keeper immediately following this post.

20 - The Dynamite Kid - Extremely boring card.

13 - Honky Tonk Man - Used to finish off opponents with a move called the "Shake, Rattle and Roll". I would like to see that.

62 - Ready to Sting! - I apologize if this offends anybody but I have to say it. This is the single gayest card in my collection. I hope these guys were paid a lot of money to dress up like this.

43 - Karate Stance - What kind of half-ass karate stance is this? Give me a break.

3 - Hulk Hogan - Perfect way to finish off the pack. I had more fun opening this than I did a $10 pack of Co-Signers.

9 comments:

Kevin said...

Awesome pack, Shane. It's too bad that I recently trimmed my own Neidhart-esque goatee. BTW, his daughter Natalie is now wrestling for WWE...*sigh* I miss the "F". Stupid pandas.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the Killer Bees weren't quite the maniest tag team in the ring. I think they chose the name because their names both began with "B." The Astros later stole this name. Considering the original source, that's pretty sad.

P.J. said...

Whatcha gonna do, brother, when the largest arms in the world, brother, run wild on you, brother?

Slette said...

Weird seeing the Dynamite Kid still able to stand... that guy was seriously badass.

--David said...

Dang, talk about revisiting old nightmares...shivers... I had supressed memories of the WWF deep into the recesses of my childhood. So much for that...

dayf said...

Opened a pack, hell I opened a box of this stuff. six bucks for the whole box and that was back in the late '80s. I wish I knew what the heck happened to it.

The Duckman Says said...

I wish the there were some better pictures

elisha said...

I have 2 Andre The Giant 1987 Topps cards and 1 is a peel & stick, I also have 2 Andre and Hogan. Perfect condition, no tears or creases. if interested email sknudson@wcnet.org

Jason Presley said...

Awhile back I had to look up what the deal was with the "King Harley" gimmick. As it turns out, the WWF had been holding King of the Ring tournaments for years before the first KOTR PPV, only they never taped any of them, they were all just live shows! "King" Harley Race won the 1986 KOTR tournament.